Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer Time Back to School Shopping Blues?



Summer Time Back to School Shopping Blues?




So... as I registered my daughter for school today and dropped a couple hundred bucks– I was so relieved to know that my wallet was safe from any future school “necessities” for awhile.
School Registration–  completed late (oops)
School Supplies– completed  mostly last year and a little bit this year
School Clothes– completed throughout the year
In order to make our family’s school dollars go further I shop throughout the year.  After school starts– go figure– supplies go on sale (usually these sales include paper products and pencils).  Of course you can’t beat crayons and markers when stores advertise them as loss-leaders and so it is best to buy these when they are advertised low.  I simply get a copy of my daughter’s school supply list for the next year. (I was a teacher and know that it is rare for a teacher to drastically change a supply list in a following year.)  I am then able to scout sales and maybe buy some nicer products, I wouldn’t have previously purchased retail, at this time.  For school supplies, my daughter didn’t get everything new this year.  Her backpack is a good quality JanSport bag (clearance item) and should las several year ( we have purchased cheaper bags in the past and they break mid-year) so this saved us dough by reusing.  Also, her pencil box and scissors will be reused.  As a teacher I watched so many students throw out supplies that were barely used or not even open– there responses were often “I’m going to get new ones anyway.”  These items were new except they were purchased last August and not the upcoming one (of course I dug them out of the trash and found good homes for them)– where came the mentality that school supplies can’t be reused?  In our house reuse is just using also your noodle. 
Additionally, school clothes go on sale after school starts.  Does your child really need sweaters and jeans when it is still warm at the beginning of school?  If you wait it out and shop when retailers start to cut prices the savings can be substantial.  Personally, I get most of my children’s clothing marked down at thrift stores, consignments stores, garage sales, and outlet stores (off-season).  I average between $2 to $3 per clothing item and my children do not look like the children’s version of “What Not to Wear.”  I am very selective and thoroughly check out items for good seams, stains and holes prior to purchase.  Underwear and socks (purchased new) are our costliest items for children clothing.  Also, to avoid having to buy a large amount of clothing mid-year, I purchase staple items: jeans, long-sleeve tees, and shoes, one or two sizes ahead.  So for example my daughter wears a child’s 6 currently but I’ve got jeans in both  size 7 and  size 8.  Since I purchase so far in advanced I can be choosy about quality and price.  If at all possible really begin your school clothing shopping for next year in early March– that is when all fall/winter merchandise hits bargain basement prices.
So while you can’t turn back the clock and prepare for this year, last year... you can try to avoid doing the bulk of your clothing shopping until mid-September or early October.  And of course you can check out discount school supplies a few weeks after classes begin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment